Tuesday 22 March 2011

Last Long Run

Yesterday (Monday) was my last long run before Marathon Day. With only four weeks to go it's now time to start tapering.

Yesterdays run was one of very few training sessions that have been conducted during day light hours. Most of my London Marathon training has been carried out under the hours of darkness, to be able fit my runs in.

I set out just before lunch time on what was a warm, sunny day with the temperature steadily rising throughout. Good preperation I thought for what, if past weather trends are to go by, will be yet again another warm day for this years London Marathon.

I deliberately kept the pace nice and steady throughout, at a pace slower than I hope to run on the day. Originally when I signed up for the London Marathon I said to myself I wasn't planning on aiming for a time but would just go out and enjoy the event. However, deep down inside I think I'd like to be able to complete it in 3hrs 30mins, though with my intentional lack of speed training, to avoid injury, and my recent dropping times, during training runs, I think I'm going to have to realistically look towards a time closer to the 4 hour mark.

After about my first 6 miles a beer swilling gentleman on a bike, who had just finished his lunchtime break in the pub, imparted his expert knowledge onto me and advised me that I should give up running. He told me that, "Running is bad for you. you should take up cycling or swimming. It is bad for your f...ing joints. You'll be f...ed if you keep it up!" I thanked him for his expert advice and continued to run past him, allowing him to finish eating his pastie while riding his bike (very slowly).

Over all the run went well and I had no real problems throughout. My training schedule was for a 23 mile run but with my left Achilees starting to pull a little I decided to limit it to 21 miles. I figured it was best to cut it short by a couple of miles rather than risk an injury at this stage and not be able to make it to London at all.

Chris M

No comments:

Post a Comment